The Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church is indeed a very special church, being located within a private multi-storey residential building.

As early as 1845, St. Francis Xavier Chapel was the place of worship for Catholics in Wanchai area. St. Francis Street and St. Francis Yard were named accordingly. There were religious communities, Catholic hospital, and homes for abandoned babies and blind women. As the number of faithful grew, and the chapel was stretched beyond its capacity, the parish priest, Father James Zilioli, and the Wanchai faithful were determined to build a new church.

With enthusiastic prayer and dedicated fund-raising effort of the local parishioners, as well as the donated site and the financial support from the Diocese, building work commenced in February 1949.  The new church was finally opened in 1950 on 16 July, the feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, with inauguration mass celebrated by Father Thomas Ryan, Superior of the Hong Kong Jesuits and the parish priest, Father James Zilioli. The church was then named the “Holy Souls Church”.

In the 1990’s, the Diocese sold the property to secure funding for other purposes. With the dedication of the Diocese and assistance of local parishioners, agreement was reached with the developer to accommodate a church within the new premises.

The redeveloped Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church was officiated by Cardinal John Wu on 10.11.2001 and continued its religious services to the area.

 

 

 

 

 

Basic info
Address No. 1, Star Street, Wanchai, H.K.
Telephone 2527-7240
Fax 2527-1276
Email [email protected]
Website URL http://www.olmcchurch.org.hk
Architectual Design
Award
HK Historic Building Grading
Names of Chapels in Parish
 
Parish Priest Rev. Thomas Law
Assistant Parish Priest
Deacon Deacon Andrew Au
Sunday Mass Cantonese:8:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m.
English:11:30 a.m., 6:00 p.m.
Anticipatory Mass Cantonese:Saturday 6:00 p.m.
Weekday Mass Cantonese:7:30 a.m.
Click to enlarge