The 1930’s was perhaps the most difficult time for development of the Catholic church.  Notwithstanding, Rev. Giovanni M. Spada (1867- 1950), still tried his best endeavor to set up the St Teresa’s Church.

The design of the Church came from the famous Holland Benedictine Order artist cum architect Fr. Adalbert Gresnigt O.S.B. His works spread across USA, Brazil etc. The Beijing Fu Jen University and Holy Spirit Seminary are example of his work. He adopted the Roman round figures to design the St. Teresa Church, making its atmosphere simple yet sincere.

St Teresa’s Church is named after Saint Thérèse of Lisieux (1873-1897)who belonged to the Carmelite French Paris Lisieux Convent.  She joined the convent when she was only 15 and died at the age of 24.  She was canonized in 1925.  Two years later, she was declared a patroness of the missions by the Pope Pius XI.

St Teresa’s Church was commissioned on 23.4.1923.  Before its completion, Catholics of the Kowloon Tong area have to go all the way to the Rosary Church in Tsim Sha Tsui or to the chapel inside the Ngau Chi Wan St Joseph’s Nursing Home under the Little Sisters of the Poor to attend mass. 

In 1952, the St. Teresa’s Kindergarten and Primary School were built besides the St. Teresa’s Church. The Kowloon Caritas Centre also started to serve the community residents with different kinds of social services in 1967. The St. Teresa’s hospital, a comprehensive modern hospital was built to the east of the Church by the Sisters of St. Paul de Chartres. As such the Catholic Church has been serving an important role in different sectors such as religion, education, medical care and social services since the 1930’s in mid Kowloon.

Now the St Teresa’s Church stands out as a special landmark feature in the area, preaching gospel and serving the community.  Currently the church organizes eight masses on Sunday and provides a wide range of formation activities for pasturing.  One of the major events is the parade of holy Mary to spread good news to the people.

Under the auspices of St Teresa’s Church are a number of subsidiary centres, including the St. Ignatius Chapel, Diocesan Pastoral Centre for the Disabled and St. Joseph’s Chapel.

Basic info
Address 258 Prince Edward Road, Kowloon.
Telephone 2336 2241、2336 0048
Fax 2336 9464
Email [email protected]
Website URL http://stteresa.catholic.org.hk/index.html
Architectual Design Romanesque style
Award
HK Historic Building Grading II grade Historic Building
Names of Chapels in Parish St. Ignatius Chapel, Diocesan Pastoral Centre For the Disabled, St. Joseph's Chapel
 
Parish Priest Rev. Gabriel Altamirano Ortega, MG
Assistant Parish Priest Rev. D. P. Vu, Rev. Christopher Chor; Rev. Francis Xavier Wong Kwan-Yau
Deacon Deacon Charles Chu Nien Tsu
Sunday Mass Chinese: 7:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 6:00 p.m.
English:8:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m.
Sunday School Children Mass:Second Sunday of Every Month 10:00 a.m. (English)
Anticipatory Mass Chinese:Saturday 4:15 p.m., 6:00 p.m.
Weekday Mass English: 6:45 a.m.
Chinese: 7:45 a.m., 6:00 p.m.
Click to enlarge